Idiyappam is a traditional Sri Lankan and South Indian specialty consisting of rice flour that is squeezed into a press to form thin noodles. The noodles are then steamed before being served with any spicy gravy.
- 2 cups rice flour
- ½ cup warm water (or more)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon oil
String hopper press
- Boil water in a pan and add oil &salt to it. on low heat boil the water for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Now add the flour into a bowl and mix it well.
- Add water slowly and work into a soft dough. Add more water or adjust with more flour if necessary. Dough should detach from the sides of the bowl and not be sticky.
- Place the dough into a noodle press
- Press the idiyappam dough onto string hopper mats
- Place the mats into the steamer, over a wok on medium flame with boiling water.
- Steam until idiyappam is fully cooked, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with chicken or egg gravy